New Research Shows Organizations How to Discover Innovative Customer Experiences that Build Stronger Relationships
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180730005056/en/
Figure 1: Gartner Customer Experience Pyramid. Source:
To address this challenge,
“The fact that so many organizations understand the importance
of CX to the brand, but are unable to deliver outcomes that meet or
exceed customer expectations is indicative of the growing need for fresh
approaches to delivering more positive outcomes for customers,” said
The Gartner CX Pyramid (see Figure 1) is a framework to understand what separates the most powerful customer experiences from the rest. Each level, from bottom to top, defines an incrementally stronger way to forge relationships between an organization’s brand and their customers based on the way CX leaders listen for, understand, act on and solve customer needs.
The pyramid helps to identify the most powerful CX based on criteria including: (a) how the experiences are triggered, (b) the amount of effort required of the customer, (c) the completeness of the solution, and (d) the emotion and change in perception created by the experience. The CX pyramid goes beyond just solving today’s problems for today’s customers, by focusing on five key stages:
- Stage 1: Communication Level – Furnish customers with the information they can use via the right channel at the right time.
- Stage 2: Responsive Level – Solve the customer’s problem quickly and efficiently – meaning, balance both business and customer goals, measures and strategies.
- Stage 3: Commitment Level – Listen for, understand and resolve customers’ unique needs.
- Stage 4: Proactive Level – Provide experiences that resolve needs before customers ask.
- Stage 5: Evolution Level – Make customers feel better, safer or more powerful.
Through these various levels, the CX pyramid should serve as a filter to review customer touchpoints and experiences throughout the entire buy, own and advocate journey.
CX leaders looking to drive more powerful, proactive and innovative solutions through the CX pyramid should follow three key steps:
- Assess Your Capabilities – Ensure they’re capturing a thorough understanding of customer wants, needs and expectations, not just their perceptions of your existing initiatives.
- Tailor Your Customer Journey Maps – Push experiences in the top of the CX pyramid at key touchpoints and drive customers deeper into the buy, own and advocate journey.
- Measure Your More Innovative CX Efforts Differently – CX leaders must make sure to measure their more innovative customer experiences against adoption, perception and financial objectives.
Additional details on adopting Gartner’s CX pyramid are available to
Sales and marketing leaders face unprecedented changes in customer
expectations, technology and the talent needed to drive results. At the
Our unmatched combination of expert-led, practitioner-sourced and data-driven research steers clients toward the right decisions on the issues that matter most. We're trusted as an objective resource and critical partner by more than 15,000 organizations in more than 100 countries — across all major functions, in every industry and enterprise size.
To learn more about how we help decision makers fuel the future of business, visit www.gartner.com.
Kelly Blum, 571-303-5745
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding Gartner's business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.